Digital marketing for franchises
Digital marketing is far from a new concept. Still, franchises seem to be struggling to jump on the bandwagon.
It makes sense when you think about it. Franchises are much more complex than a single solitary business, no matter how big or small. Franchises often have to deal with different types of businesses within their own group. Changing up how a franchise markets itself can seem daunting, to say the least.
It really doesn’t have to be. And digital marketing can revolutionize a franchise in ways that owners may not expect.
First, let’s take a look at exactly what digital marketing is and how franchise marketing management can use it to their advantage.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is, simply put, a type of marketing strategy that involves the use of technology and the internet. There are many types of digital marketing, including:
- Mobile Marketing
- Brand Journalism
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Video Marketing
- Audio Marketing
- Native Advertising
- Search Engine Marketing
- Smartphone Marketing
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising
- Augmented or Virtual Reality Marketing
- Live Chat
- Social Media Marketing
- Online Advertising
- Content Marketing
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Affiliate Marketing
- Instant Messaging Marketing
- Influencer Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Public Relations Content
- Viral Marketing
The opportunities to market digitally are seemingly endless. While not every one of the above listed digital marketing types can or should be used by franchises, a few of these can definitely be used by franchise creatives to improve their reach strategy.
The Pros and Cons of Digital Marketing for Franchises
Franchise marketing can absolutely include digital aspects, and it really should.
There are many positives and a couple of negatives to centrally managing a franchise’ digital assets and controlling the brand within its brand guidelines.
The Pros of Digital Franchise Marketing
- It’s quite inexpensive to start a digital marketing campaign.
- Digital marketing provides access to a fairly massive audience.
- It caters to many different demographics and target audiences simultaneously.
- Digital marketing can be implemented extremely quickly.
- It can have an almost instant effect.
- Digital marketing is able to reach decision-making people directly, rather than through a middle man.
- Brand interactions are much easier to do via digital marketing.
- It allows you to find opportunities that will expand your customer service.
- Higher levels of brand loyalty are really only possible for small franchises through digital marketing.
- It takes control out of your hands. This could also be seen as a con rather than a pro, depending on how you prefer to run your business.
The Cons of Digital Franchise Marketing
- It’s time-consuming.
- It allows for negative public relations due to trolls, scammers, spammers, and competitors.
- It can be a little difficult to properly determine your return on investment (ROI.)
- It’s very easy to copy someone’s digital marketing campaign, including yours.
- There is a lot of online white noise, and your marketing strategy could get lost in the crowd.
- It’s a very first-impression-judgment way to market.
Now that you can assess the pros and cons of digital marketing, let’s look at a few examples of how franchises can implement this form of marketing into their campaigns.