How to make a Wattpad cover in 6 easy steps using Desygner
A first impression only lasts 7 seconds. Yup… only 7 seconds! This is why amazing book covers are so important.
So, what can you do to make sure your cover is the one that grabs them and makes them click to read the great work you did?
Your book cover will be the first thing your future readers see, which is why you must be extremely thoughtful about how you want it to look. You’ve finished your series or novel, dedicated time and sweat to telling your story, and now it’s time to give your book the cover it deserves.
Thanks to Desygner’s Wattpad Cover Creator, designing the cover of your book on your own is possible. In fact, it’s not just possible – it’s easy! It doesn’t matter if you don’t know anything about design. Using our Wattpad book cover maker, you’ll get a professional cover in a matter of minutes that captures the essence of your book and draws in your readers.
- Download the Wattpad Cover Creator.
- Create your free (forever) account.
1. Choose the perfect template for your book cover
Fall in love with one of our book cover templates!
The first step is to choose the right template from our large library of book covers. Choose the template that you think will work with your book or is closest to the image you have in your head. Don’t worry if there’s nothing exactly like what you want, it’s really easy to edit and adapt it to get it just how you want it.
We want to help you with this process, so we’ve organised all our Wattpad templates by categories.
2. Build your Wattpad cover
First of all, a cover should always have a title and the author’s name. (That’s right! Put your name on there- you did it!) To add these details, you just have to:
- Select the text.
- Click on “Edit Text” in the toolbar located at the bottom of the screen.
Add a subtitle
Sometimes, the title of a book is coupled with a subtitle. This phrase usually gives additional information about the title or simply indicates whether it’s the next installment of a series.
To add this text:
- Click on the “+” symbol and then on Text.
- Select Subtitle. This will instantly appear in your design.
- Edit it.
3. Choose your fonts
Let your Wattpad cover speak for itself. Your book cover needs to represent your story and the font is a huge part of that.
Fonts have personality and convey feelings. And who knows the secrets of your story better than you?
- Select the text.
- In the toolbar that appears at the bottom of the screen, click on “Edit font”.
- Choose from hundreds of free, royalty-free fonts.
- If you can’t edit the text, it may be because the text is grouped. Select the text and then click on “ungroup”.
Use fonts effectively and creatively without overwhelming your cover. Try to keep your cover neat and clean.
4. Choose a good Wattpad cover background
Tell a story by adding professional images!
Choose an image that conveys your story. Choosing a minimalist background is a safe bet, or you can create covers that are busier. The latter works well for fantasy or science fiction genres, as long as all the elements are well-organised and your cover looks clean and clear. Find your style with these design tips!
Choose from thousands of professional and royalty-free images:
- Click on the “+” button and then on the images.
- Select your own image from the gallery or search for an image using our integrated search engine.
- To search for an image, type what you would like to find in the search bar at the top.
Design Tip: Add a background colour and lower the opacity of your image. Why?
- If you choose a lighter colour: it gives colour to your background image.
- If you choose a darker color: the letters on your cover will stand out more.
Experiment with textures and patterns
Numerous books use texture. They’re original and look great when coupled with a large-sized font.
Adding a texture is a big responsibility! Don’t forget to place a dark background colour beneath it and lower its opacity to improve the legibility of your cover.
Follow these steps:
- In the editor, click on the “+” symbol and then on “Images”.
- Click on the button with black squares called “Textures”.
- Choose your favourite!
5. Add icons and shapes to your Wattpad cover
Desygner has a large gallery of free icons that are royalty-free.
- In the editor, click on the “+” button and then on “Elements”.
- Type in the search bar and look for your icon.
- Choose your favourite!
You can also add shapes such as a square or a circle where later you’ll place your title, for example. Let your imagination run wild!
6. Share and Upload Your New Cover to Wattpad
Now your personalised book cover is ready to share to the world and attract readers! Share it to the world.
- Click on the button with 3 points located in the lower right corner.
- Then click on “Export”.
- Select “Wattpad”.