How to make a Wattpad cover in 6 easy steps using Desygner
A first impression only lasts 7 seconds. Yup, you heard that right… Only 7 seconds!
The cover of your book will be the first thing your future readers will have before their eyes, which is why you must be extremely thoughtful about it. You’ve finished your novel, dedicated time and sweat to telling your story and now it’s time to give your book the cover it deserves.
Thanks to Desygner’s Wattpad Cover Creator, designing the cover of your book on your own is possible. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know anything about design. With it, you’ll get a professional cover that catches the eye of your readers in a matter of minutes.
- Download the Wattpad Cover Creator.
- Create a free account.
1. Choose the perfect template for your Wattpad cover
Fall in love with one of our templates!
The first step is to choose the right template from our large library of covers. Choose the template that reminds you of your book or comes close to the idea in your head.
We want to help you with this process, which is why we’ve organized all our Wattpad templates by categories.
2. Build your Wattpad cover
First of all, a cover should be accompanied by a title and the author’s name. To add these details, you just have to:
- Select the text.
- Click on “Edit Text” that appears in the toolbar located at the bottom of the screen.
Add a subtitle to your Wattpad cover
Sometimes, the title of a book is coupled with a secondary caption called a subtitle. This phrase usually gives additional information about the title or simply indicates the next instalment of a series.
To add this text:
- Click on the “+” symbol and then on Text.
- Select Subtitle. This will instantly appear in your design.
- Edit it.
3. Choose your Wattpad cover fonts
Let your Wattpad cover speak for itself. Your book cover needs to represent your story, and there’s nothing better than choosing a good font for your book.
Fonts have personality and convey feelings. And who knows the secrets of your story better than you?
- Select the text.
- In the toolbar that appears at the bottom of the screen, click on “Edit font.”
- Choose from hundreds of free fonts that are royalty-free.
- If you can not edit the text, it may be because the text is grouped. Select the text and then click on “ungroup”.
Use fonts effectively and creatively without overwhelming your cover. Try to keep your cover neat and clean.
4. Choose a good Wattpad cover background
Tell a story by adding professional images!
Choose an image that conveys your story. Choosing a minimalist background is a safe bet, or you can create covers that are busier. The latter works well for fantasy or science fiction genres, as long as all the elements are well-organized and your cover looks clean and clear.
Choose from thousands of professional and royalty-free images:
- Click on the “+” button and then on the images.
- Select your own image from the gallery or search for an image using our integrated search engine.
- To search for an image, type what you would like to find in the search bar at the top.
Design Tip: Add a background color and lower the opacity of your image. In this way, you’ll get:
- If you choose a light color: it gives color to your background image.
- If you choose a dark color: the letters on your cover will stand out much more.
Experiment with Wattpad cover textures and patterns
Numerous books use this type of texture. They’re original and look great when coupled with a large-sized font.
Adding a texture is a big responsibility! Don’t forget to place a dark background color beneath it and lower its opacity, so you’ll improve the legibility of your cover.
Follow these steps:
- In the editor, click on the “+” symbol and then on “Images.”
- Click on the button with black squares called “Textures.”
- Choose your favourite!
5. Add icons and shapes to your Wattpad cover
Desygner has a large gallery of free icons that are royalty-free.
- In the editor, click on the “+” button and then on “Elements.”
- Type in the search bar and look for your icon.
- Choose your favourite!
You can also add shapes such as a square or a circle where later you’ll place your title, for example. Let your imagination run wild!
6. Share and Upload Your New Cover to Wattpad
You already have your cover ready to attract readers!
- Click on the button with 3 points located in the lower right corner.
- Then click on “Export”
- Select “Wattpad”.